Wolfsburg v Hertha Berlin: Probable Lineups, Match Stats and LIVE Blog!
Plummeting Wolfsburg are still without top scorer Lukas Nmecha for Hertha Berlin’s visit to the Volkswagen-Arena on Saturday (kick-off: 3:30 p.m. CET).
>> Click here for the Wolfsburg vs Hertha LIVE blog!
Nmecha has been missing with an ankle injury since scoring his sixth goal of the season in the 3-2 loss to Cologne on Matchday 16 and the 23-year-old is sorely missing in Wolves’ attack . After holding the top spot for three weeks following their win over Hertha on Matchday, Wolfsburg have since won just twice in the league and have dropped to 14th in the table. Only three points separate them from second-placed Arminia Bielefeld and they could end the weekend in the relegation zone if they earn a seventh straight Bundesliga defeat and results go against them elsewhere. That will be a major concern for coach Florian Kohfeldt, who hopes Wout Weghorst can get his side out of trouble in the absence of his attacking partner. Kohfeldt named seven of a possible seven replacements last time out as they lost 1-0 to Bochum and said he expects Dodi Lukebakio and Aster Vranckx to be fit in time to bolster his ranks.
After ending 2021 with just one out of five defeats – a run that included two wins and a stunning win over Borussia Dortmund in their last outing of the year – Hertha got back on track with a 3-1 loss to Cologne in of the 18th day. The loss was Tayfun Korkut’s first home loss since taking charge in December and it leaves his side 13th in the table – one point and one place above their hosts. Kevin-Prince Boateng and Suat Serdar both received their fifth yellow card of the season in the game against Cologne and were suspended. Co-top scorer Stevan Jovetic is close to returning from injury but the game comes too soon for the Montenegrin. Ishak Belfodil, however, is set to make a comeback after sitting out last weekend and is expected to partner one of Myziane Maolida and Davie Selke up front.
Look: Nmecha’s first Bundesliga goal helped Wolfsburg win at Hertha on Matchday 2
- Nmecha’s six goals in as many Bundesliga games contributed to 13 points (W4, D1, L1).
- Weghorst also has six. The Dutchman has scored twice in seven career appearances for Hertha.
- Wolfsburg are enjoying their longest winless streak since the 1976/77 Bundesliga 2 North campaign, when they went 14 without a win while losing 11 in a row.
- With five each, Jovetic and Marco Richter have accounted for nearly half of Hertha’s 21 goals this season.
- Hertha are winless in three and have won just two of their last 10 Bundesliga meetings with Wolfsburg (W2, D4, L4).
- Peter Pekarik won the 2008/09 Bundesliga with Wolfsburg, before joining Hertha, via Kayseispor, in the summer of 2012. The 35-year-old has made 203 competitive appearances for his current employers.
The probable compositions
Wolfsburg: Casteels – Lacroix, Brooks, Bornauw – Baku, Guilavogui, Arnold (c), Roussillon – Philipp, Weghorst, Waldschmidt
Outside: Mehmedi (muscular), L. Nmecha (ankle), Schlager (knee), Stefaniak (groin), Otavio (knee), William (knee)
Coach: Florian Kohfeldt
Herta: Schwolow – Pekarik, Stark (c), Torunarigha, Plattenhardt – Richter, Darida, Ascacibar, Mittelstädt – Belfodil, Maolida
Outside: Boateng (suspended), Christensen (not included), Jarstein (knee), Jovetic (calf), Serdar (suspended)
Doubtful: Bjorkan (fitness match), Boyata (fitness match), Zeefuik (fitness match)
Coach: Tayfun Korkut