The 25 most common British pet antics
The top 25 pet peeves of cat and dog owners include pets that steal food, howl in the night, and run through the kitchen counter.
A quarter of 1,000 pet owners surveyed admitted they find their furry friends frustrating, at least once in a while.
But 82% attribute the antics to their cheekiness, while seven in 10 find their misbehavior “endearing”.
It also emerged that 59% enjoy telling friends when their pets have been good, including when they cross their laptops while working and putting food off the table.
Other bizarre habits included human habits of refusing to go out in the rain and making strange noises while sleeping.
Helen Skelton, TV presenter and spokesperson for insurance provider Petplan, which commissioned the research, said: ‘Like humans, pets have strong personalities, and for many they are a key companion and a member of the family, especially if they have been by our side for a while, like my dogs Barney and Spiderman.
“A lot of our pet friends have weird traits, mine are quite different; one disappears forever into the garden with a shoe on and our lab is no stranger to serving themselves in the fruit bowl either, including bringing a special “gift” or pinching sausages off the barbecue.
“Living on a farm surrounded by animals means fun antics are commonplace – my dogs have kept me on my toes since day one, but like any other family member, that’s just their personality.”
The study also found that 24% had to deal with a ‘gift’ of live animals in the house, while 14% had the buttered toast licked behind their backs.
And a fifth watched in frustration as their pet totally ignored a brand new toy – and chewed on the rest of the house instead.
Despite this, 74% have a good relationship with their pet.
While eight in 10 think that even if their pets are a cause of frustration, they wouldn’t change them in any way.
Helen Skelton, who is working with Petplan to launch its 2022 pet awards, added: ‘Our ‘pet broadsides’ are part of the reason we love our pets and consider them family – whatever better way to celebrate our furry friends than to enter them into the prizes.
“With categories such as Rescue and Pet of the Year, now is the time to give our furry friends the recognition they deserve and have a chance at amazing pet prizes.”
The 25 Most Common British Pet Antics
1. Being sick on the mat
2. Waiting at the door to be let out – then deciding not to when you open the door
3. Leave fur/hair everywhere
4. Waking up in the middle of the night
5. Boot food when you cook
6. Make strange sounds in their sleep
7. Refuse to go out in the rain
8. Stepping on your laptop when trying to work
9. Bringing something from a shelf to fall
10. Bring back a living animal in the house
11. Steal food
13. Constantly trying to get into a closet or other place they don’t need to go
14. Ignoring the toys you bought and chewing on anything they’re not allowed to do instead
15. Stealing food off the counter when your back is turned
17. Walking muddy footprints on the kitchen counter
18. Chewing on a shoe or slipper
19. lying on your head when sleeping
20. Roll in fox poo
21. Lick the butter off your toast when your back is turned
22. Deciding they want a late night walk
23. You take the duvet off in the morning when they want to feed
24. Use human toilets
25. Poo in a shoe or slipper