RB Leipzig vs. Cologne: Probable Lineups, Match Stats and LIVE Blog!
Tyler Adams is pushing to start for RB Leipzig against a Cologne side without injured star striker Anthony Modeste on Friday (kick-off: 8.30pm CET).
>> Click here for the Leipzig-Cologne LIVE blog!
Adams missed Leipzig’s 3-2 loss to leaders Bayern Munich with a thigh injury sustained on international duty. It remains to be seen whether he will return to full fitness in time, although the American may have to settle for a place on the bench after midfielder Konrad Laimer returned to form. Head coach Domenico Tedesco is also sweating over the fitness of defender Mohamed Simakan, who was another spectator in the game against Bayern. Lukas Klostermann should continue in his place. Further forward, meanwhile, Dani Olmo tried his luck to kick off a second consecutive league without any harm with an impressive solo display last time out. The in-form Spain international will likely keep Dominik Szoboszlai on the bench as Leipzig chase a win that would take them to fourth in the table, at least overnight.
Cologne start the weekend with a point better than Leipzig, in sixth place. The Billy Goats edged surprise compatriot Freiburg a week ago, courtesy of top scorer Modeste’s second goal in as many games and 14th of the Bundesliga season. Indeed, the Frenchman has only managed to score once in his last six league outings, of which Cologne have lost just one. The Frenchman’s absence through illness will be keenly felt by Steffen Baumgart, who cut a lively figure from the comfort of his own home but is expected to return to the touchline at Red Bull Arena. Personally, the 50-year-old is unlikely to stray too far from his winning formula, Modeste aside. Any adjustments would likely benefit midfielders Ondrej Duda and Louis Schaub – both second-half substitutes on Matchday 21.
Look: Modeste helped Cologne draw with Leipzig earlier in the season
- Christopher Nkunku is Leipzig’s top scorer in the Bundesliga this season with 10 so far, but Andre Silva is just one behind him.
- The Portugal international has scored six goals in seven appearances under Tedesco, double the number he managed in the first 14 matches.
- Eight of Leipzig’s nine Bundesliga wins this season have come at home.
- Eight of Modeste’s 14 goals this season put the Billy Goats ahead, four equalized and two brought them within a goal of the opposition.
- The Billy Goats had a league-high 317 crosses in open play, leading to 14 goals. Twelve of them were headers, including nine from Modeste alone. Leipzig as a club have five headed goals.
- Cologne picked up eight wins, 34 goals and 33 points last season finishing 16th. After 21 games this season, they already have eight wins, 33 goals and 32 points.
The probable compositions
Leipzig: Gulacsi (c) – Simakan, Orban, Gvardiol – Klostermann, Laimer, Kampl, Angelino – Nkunku, Olmo – Silva
Outside: Halstenberg (back)
Coach: Dominique Tedesco
Cologne: Schwäbe – Schmitz, Kilian, Hübers, Hector (c) – Özcan – Thielmann, Ljubicic, Kainz – Andersson, Uth
Outside: Chabot (not included), Modeste (sick)
Coach: Steffen Baumgart
Comments are closed.