Bayern Munich vs Mainz: CONFIRMED line-ups, match statistics and LIVE blog!
Robert Lewandowski could set a new Bundesliga scoring record when Bayern Munich host Mainz on Saturday (kick-off 3:30 p.m. CET).
>> Click here for the Bayern-Mainz LIVE blog!
After his brace against former club Borussia Dortmund at Der Klassiker, Lewandowski has now scored 40 goals in 33 Bundesliga games in calendar year 2021. Only one player in Bundesliga history – the late Gerd Müller – achieved more in a single year, reaching 42 in 1972. The Pole’s exploits helped Bayern open a four-point lead at the top of the Bundesliga, although they are well aware of it. that the visitors were one of only four teams to beat them in the league in 2020/21. Bayern beat Barcelona 3-0 on Wednesday, ending a flawless campaign in the UEFA Champions League group stage. With Joshua Kimmich ruled out until the New Year after a spell of isolation and Leon Goretzka suffering from a foot injury, Corentin Tolisso and Jamal Musiala – the latter among the midweek scorers – are paired in the central midfielder. .
Mainz were beaten 5-2 in Munich last season but won 2-1 at home in April when the teams last met. Jonathan Burkardt has scored in both matches, and the German Under-21 captain has become even more influential for his club with seven team-leading goals so far this season. On Matchday 14, he secured the opener in a 3-0 win over Wolfsburg, which ended a three-game winless streak for the 05ers. Guest coach Bo Svensson hasn’t tinkered with a winning team much, so Karim Onisiwo once again joins forces with Burkardt in attack. Dutch defender Jeremiah St. Juste and midfielder Dominik Kohr are still out due to injury.
Look: Lewandowski played when Bayern beat Mainz 5-2 last season
- Lewandowski has scored 19 goals in 21 competitive games with Mainz.
- Thomas Müller has won 290 of the 397 Bundesliga matches he has appeared in. A win here would put him at Manfred Kaltz’s level and in the league’s all-time top three for wins.
- Julian Nagelsmann could win a 100th Bundesliga game as a coach in this game, in his 199th game overall (D59 L40).
- Svensson has been Mainz’s coach for 34 Bundesliga appearances, the equivalent of a full season. He scored 54 points during that span (W15 D9 L10), which would have been equivalent to a sixth place last season.
- With seven goals and an assist, Burkardt is Mainz’s chief striker this season.
- St. Juste is the fastest Bundesliga player this season having been clocked at 22.76 mph (36.53 km / h).
Bayern: Neuer (c) – Pavard, Upamecano, Hernandez, Davies – Tolisso, Musiala – Coman, Müller, Sane – Lewandowski
Subscribers: Ulreich, Richards, Süle, Gnabry, Cuisance, Sarr, Roca, Nianzou, Tillman
Outside: Choupo-Moting (fitness match), Goretzka (foot), Kimmich (lungs), Sabitzer (calf), Sarr (groin), Stanisic (thigh)
Coach: Julien nagelsmann
Mainz: Zentner – Bell, Hack, Niakhate (c) – Widmer, Lee, Barreiro, Stach, Martin – Burkardt, Onisiwo
Subscribers: Dahmen, Boetius, Ingvartsen, Brosinski, Stöger, Papela, Tauer, Nebel, Nemeth
Outside: Kohr (thigh), Lucoqui (knee), St. Juste (shoulder)
Coach: Bo Svensson