Augsburg vs RB Leipzig: probable line-ups, match stats and LIVE blog!
Tyler Adams is hoping for a chance to impress new head coach Domenico Tedesco when RB Leipzig travel to Augsburg on Wednesday (kick off: 8:30 p.m. CET).
>> Click here for the Augsburg-Leipzig LIVE blog!
After just one win in the first nine games of the season, Augsburg has recently regained its pace and claimed victory in three of the last six, most notably against champions Bayern Munich and most recently in Cologne on Friday. Andre Hahn and Niklas Dorsch got all three points in the latter, but Markus Weinzierl lost captain Jeffrey Gouweleeuw to suspension after the center-back received his fifth yellow card of the campaign. However, he will have been relieved to have Reece Oxford’s back shaped like Die Fuggerstädter brought their fourth blank sheet of the campaign. Despite this recovery, Augsburg remains 16th and in the place of the dams for relegation, but with six points ahead of the automatic drop zone and only one over VfB Stuttgart and safety. The Bavarians had the most time of any team to recover, having played on Friday in Matchday 15, so fatigue should be less of a problem.
Adams was a second-half substitute on Saturday as Leipzig comfortably won their first game under new manager Tedesco, beating Borussia Mönchengladbach 4-1 at home. Christopher Nkunku got the third of the afternoon and prepared the fourth to take it to seven goals and five assists for the campaign – the club’s two best tally. The return of Willi Orban and Mohamed Simakan saw Tedesco return to three and free left-back Angelino, who provided his second and third assists of the championship season and may well end up on the wishlist of Fancy managers if this manifests in a sustained form. Die roten bullen are much more used to the pace and workload of playing midweek, so Tedesco may well opt for the same team again, although Dominik Szoboszlai and Adams are hoping for a chance to impress the boss early in the season. their penultimate game of 2021.
Look: Tedesco on “the enormous quality” of Leipzig
- Dorsch is Augsburg’s 10th different goalscorer this season, while Hahn is one of four players to score two goals. Niederlechner has three team leaders.
- Oxford is set to make its 60th appearance in competition for Augsburg. This is his longest stint of any club he has represented as a pro.
- Augsburg has won only one of the 10 Bundesliga games with Leipzig and has not won any of its last seven (D2, L5).
- Nkunku has scored seven of Leipzig’s best goals and has reached the top of the league three times so far this season.
- Tedesco has won two and drew in one of three meetings with Augsburg to date.
- Leipzig is one of three teams to have yet another away victory in the Bundesliga this season (D3, L4). They have also lost their last three away games of 2020/21.
Augsburg: Gikiewicz – Framberger, Gumny, Oxford, Iago – Jensen, Caligiuri, Dorsch, Vargas – Hahn (c), Gregoritsch
Outside: Finnbogason (thigh), Gouweleeuw (hanging), Gruezo (knee), Niederlechner (foot), Strobl (knee), Uduokhai (not included)
Doubtful: Gruezo (knee), Maier (sick), Zeqiri (knocking)
Coach: Markus Weinzierl
Leipzig: Gulacsi (c) – Simakan, Orban, Gvardiol – Mukiele, Laimer, Kampl, Angelino – Forsberg, Silva, Nkunku
Outside: Halstenberg (ankle), Novoa (not included), Olmo (muscular), Poulsen (calf), Saracchi (knee)
Doubtful: Haidara (ankle), Klostermann (thigh)
Coach: Domenico tedesco